Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Brixham Trawler Race 2015

When I began networking my project via a series of skippers at Sutton Harbour, I never imagined that weeks later I would be taking part in a quite bizarre and utterly fantastic trawler race in Brixham.  On Saturday the 20th of June, what could have easily been just a usual weekend day here in the south west, quickly became something very special indeed.

Although I had been living in Plymouth for almost a decade now, I had no idea anything like this ever took place.  Yet trawler racing in Brixham was an annual event that bought about a huge public turn out and not just from those in the surrounding area.  Records dated back well before the 1950's, with many websites still keeping track and showcasing various records of trawlers and their crew that had taken part or won over the years.  

It was the first time in a long time that I was up at 5am on a Saturday morning, but in order to get from Plymouth to Brixham in time to board the Emily Jane, it was an unfortunate necessity.  A few buses and a train journey later and I arrived excitedly at the harbour.  I had been invited by Arthur, the skipper of the Emily Jane to come aboard and photograph the event after meeting him and his crew during one of my networking sessions at Sutton Harbour in Plymouth.  After discussing my initial plans of my project with him, I felt as if the Emily Jane would become a major part of my documentary.   

Arthur, skipper of the Emily Jane


Being in Brixham that morning, I quickly decided that I would expand further on what I had begun to document at Sutton Harbour and include this scenic and striking location, as well as Dartmouth in the near future.  It really didn't seem to matter where the trawler started out from, as many of these harbours seemed very much connected; the fact that I met Arthur and the crew of the Emily Jane, a Brixham trawler in Plymouth really said it all.  If this had not been the case, I don't believe I would have known about the trawler race in Brixham on Saturday.



As I stood upon the deck, I felt something immediately special about the Emily Jane and her crew, and in time I hoped to find out more about their lives and livelihoods, as well as the history of this trawler.  During July, I would be going out to sea with them for what could potentially be the first of many outings over the course of this year, perhaps even beyond depending on the project.  There were many stories to be told, I knew this, along with many journeys to be soon shared.  What did happen to a person after many days out to sea, and in particular, what would have to someone like me, who was not used to this way of life?  What did this crew really have to go through, their handwork and graft, just to put a fish supper in front of a family week in and week out?



The Jeremy Kyle Show.  Arthur won't leave the harbour until its finished.



One of the most surprising things of the day was just how packed the boats were. Families, friends, sixteen of the trawlers on show were a playground full of people, all out celebrating in such high spirits.  Colourful flags draped high across the decks as music belted out from many speakers upon many boats. Trawlers began setting off out to sea and just as we were leaving the docks, the dark overcast skies began to empty with rain.  I was gutted, though thankfully it was only a quick shower and I was back out on deck snapping away. 

The radar showing the trawlers leaving the harbour 



It was an incredible sight it is to see a dozen or so trawlers all grouped up together, horns bellowing in tandem with one another, all ready to kick off the yearly proceedings once again.  When these ships built up a bit of speed, they really did move.  I loved being on board and it was an unforgettable day; I know this time next year I'll be back again, and hopefully again on the Emily Jane.      








I found the whole event to be a perfect introduction to my project.  I learned so much, particularly in what it means to shoot amongst unfamiliar surroundings, being aware and understanding space, whether limited on deck or vast in terms of all that is around.  That day onboard the Emily Jane also revealed a great deal about myself as a photographer and how I will go about this project over these coming months.  I still have a lot of things to organise (a new camera bag being top of the list) and only a few weeks to get all this sorted before my first venture out to sea.  With my Devonport exhibition soon coming to a close and a whole new chapter on the high seas about to open, it does feel like the winds are beginning to change and I'm finally heading in the right direction after all.

My favourite shot of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment