Sunday, November 01, 2015

Emily Rose @ National Marine Aquarium

With my next venture out at sea with the crew of the Emily Rose just around the corner, it was wonderful to see my previous outing onboard gaining so much positive attention.  Emily Rose was fast becoming more than just another project; I honestly had a genuine interest into the lives of these fishermen and the many hardships they face on a day to day basis.  After all, they were out for weeks on end on one of the most dangerous and ever changing landscapes this world had evolved and perfectly perfected; for that reason alone I had nothing but absolute admiration, as well as a huge amount of intrigue into what lifts someone from the comfort and (almost) safety of dry land to working in such harsh, and at times, wretched conditions.

My expectation for this project had always been to honestly, and with the greatest amount of respect, portray a way life that for many (and no different to myself not so long ago), whose only association with these trawlermen was to order a fish supper from the chippy or pursuing today's catch at the local market.  This lack of understanding was not so much caused by ignorance; I simply felt that coverage of this livelihood was not hugely represented, thus leading to a severe lack of awareness.  To be fair, there was and is so much happening in the world, so many varied lifestyle and life choices, I suppose it is impossible to keep tabs on everything that goes on.  In my mind, if I could just inform even a few people, open a series of eyes and minds to a world vastly different, though one very much within and connected to their own, I was heading in the right direction.

My latest exhibition and first public display of 'Emily Rose' was held over the weekend (29.10 | 1.11.2015) at the National Marine Aquarium, in association with Norman Holmes and Kaya Gallery, featuring a stunning selection of work by Plymouth's Ocean City Artists.  It was a real privilege to be amongst the likes of David Gray, Julie Hammonds, David Chambers, Julianna Depledge, Carol Rolfe, Sophie Johnson, Jenny Evans and many many more.  My display consisted of six single image prints (21x14 inch), along with a montage piece (36x28 inch), all printed on 5mm foamex with a laminate finish.  Graphique in St. Austell, the same company that produced my 'i am Alive' image for my end of year show in London through Plymouth College of Art provided a fabulous job with the printing and left me stunned with the results.






The idea that I was the only photographer on display in this melting pot of such talented painters, glass makers and designers was fantastic, and often throughout the evening this was how I was referred to.  Wow, so you're the photographer!  Hearing that on repeat never got old.  By the end of the night I was mentally exhausted, though this was a good exhausted of course; my throat sore from constant yet welcoming conversations regarding my work, my first week at sea, the next outing and in particular, 'Poseidon'

'Poseidon' quickly became the main talking point during the night.  Comments generally begun or ended with the word phenomenal, elevating my head to a place way past cloud nine.  With a run of 64 limited edition prints on high end aluminium going into production this month following interesting from a company in the south west, as well as a recent three page spread in Fishing News (huge thanks to Dave Linkie and the team), I felt everything, touch wood, was finally coming together following a tough yet eventful first year as a practising photographer post-graduation.  With the winter fishing season now in full swing, I couldn't wait to see what images I would return with when I landed back on dry land.   

Poseidon
My recent article in Fishing News, found in WH Smiths

No comments:

Post a Comment